SB1383 - Edible Food Recovery

What is the edible food recovery requirement?        

food heirarchy picture

SB 1383 requires some businesses that produce, sell, and serve food to donate excess edible food. These businesses are categorized into two tiers. (See table below.)

Tier One Effective 01/01/22  
  • Supermarkets. 
  • Grocery stores with a total facility size equal to or greater than 10,000 square feet. 
  • Food service providers. 
  • Food distributors. 
  • Wholesale food vendors. 

Tier Two Effective 01/01/24
  • Restaurants with 250 or more seats, or a total facility size equal to or greater than 5,000 square feet. 
  • Hotels with an on-site food facility and 200 or more rooms. 
  • Health facilities with an on-site food facility and 100 or more beds. 
  • Large venues. 
  • Large events. 
  • State agencies with a cafeteria with 250 or more seats or a total cafeteria facility size equal to or greater than 5,000 square feet. 
  • Local education agencies with an on-site food facility.

All Tier One businesses are required to participate in Edible Food Donations as of January 1, 2022. Please contact or (530) 275-7400 with any questions about your business’s qualification.

Donating Eatable Food
Some organizations in Shasta Lake work to recover edible food from businesses and help provide food to those in need.

A food recovery organization is an entity that collects edible food and distributes that edible food to those in need. These food recovery organizations support food recovery either directly or through other entities including, but not limited to a food bank or a nonprofit charitable organization.

If your business fits into the mandated Tier One or Tier Two classification, please set up a food recovery agreement with one of the following organizations in Shasta Lake:

  • Dignity Health Connected Living
  • Shasta Senior Nutrition Program

What are the Requirements for Donations? 

  • A contract or written agreement must be maintained with food recovery service(s) or organization(s) to pick up or receive edible food.  
  • A record must also be kept indicating all types of food being donated, pounds donated per month, frequency of donations, and the contact information of the contracted food recovery organization(s).
  • Generators shall not intentionally spoil food that can be recovered.
  • Large venues or large event operators that do not provide food services, but allow for food to be provided, shall require food facilities operating on site to comply with the organics diversion and food recovery requirements that CalRecycle sets. 

 More information can be found at CalRecycle’s website: